Dr. Lucy Jones is the founder of the Dr. Lucy Jones Center for Science and Society, with a mission to foster the understanding and application of scientific information in the creation of more resilient communities. She is the author of the book, The Big Ones (Doubleday, April 2018) and is also a Research Associate at the Seismological Laboratory of Caltech, a post she has held since 1984. Working with both the public and private sectors, Dr. Jones seeks to increase communities’ ability to adapt and be resilient to the dynamic changes of the world around them. The aim is to understand and communicate where the greatest vulnerabilities lie and what actions can be taken to reduce the risk that are the most cost-effective. With a Bachelor of Arts in Chinese Language and Literature from Brown University and a Ph.D. in Geophysics from MIT, Dr. Jones has been active in earthquake research for decades, furthering earthquake risk reduction through seismological research and integrated disaster scenarios.
Download Dr. Lucy Jones’s full biography here.
Sign up for Dr. Lucy Jones’s news and updates here.
Media and Public Engagement
Part of the work of the Jones Center is creating and responding to media opportunities, both traditional and online. Dr. Jones engaged with over 156,700 Twitter followers in 2020, sharing the strategically crafted Center posts with her followers to help them understand the science of disasters and surrounding data and facts. In addition to her other speaking engagements, Dr. Jones speaks with audiences on behalf of the Jones Center to further its objectives. Selected highlights in 2020 include:
- Earthquake briefing for foreign consulates in southern California. Hosted by the Mexican Consulate February 28, 2020
- Closing plenary speech for the National Earthquake Conference, March 5,2020.
- Los Angeles Times, May 3, 2020 “Opinion: What earthquakes can teach us about the coronavirus pandemic,”
- Keynote for the Center for Non-Profit Management’s annual 501(c)onference on June 3, 2020
- Participation by Dr. Jones in ASU/New America 10Across Los Angeles Roundtable (virtual) on June 18, 2020
- Los Angeles Times, June 27, 2020: “Who doesn’t trust Lucy Jones in a crisis? Here’s what she has to say about the coronavirus pandemic”
- Presentation by Dr. Jones and John Bwarie to the Institute for Sustainable Development national weekly webinar on July 10, 2020
- The Washington Post, August 13, 2020: “Opinion: A San Andreas earthquake is unlikely now. But we should still plan to prevent catastrophe.”
- The Washington Post, November 24, 2020: “Opinion: Don’t trust your gut. The covid risk is greater than ever”